Most businesses you see today have something to do with software. It is rare to come across a company that does not have an app or web app to bring about quick results; companies tend to create their apps with ready-to-go platforms. Many of these companies are disappointed as these platforms do not entirely match the needs of their businesses. You can address such issues through custom app development.
Customizing your mobile apps can be a powerful tool to give support to your employees, processes and business as a whole. However, many companies find it challenging to specifically build customized apps to meet their needs.
What is custom app development?
As the name implies, it pretty much explains itself. Custom app development is said to be the process of building apps that aim to fulfil your business’s needs. Whether customized partially or entirely, they are to address the needs of a particular audience rather than the entire group of people. Also referred to as bespoke or tailor-made software, custom developed apps grant the functionality and features that easy solutions off the shelf can’t donate.
Apps that you find on the market are custom based, with many of them having off the shelf features that have come from third parties. Such integrations are for chats, administrative boards, and other functions.
For example, send bot is a well-known solution for apps that integrate a ready-made messenger into their product. Although integrated, you can customize such a chatbot in design colors. Still, you can’t make any changes to it. In other words, if integrated apps don’t fulfil your needs. Then you need to build a custom app.
RELATED ARTICLE: Everything You Need To Know About Running A Business On Etsy.
Benefits of Custom App Development for Businesses
Some ways in which custom app development can be beneficial to a business are as follows:
1. Enhanced security
General business apps sometimes lack specialized security features, which is a threat to the safety of your data. Creating customized apps allows you to implement specific security measures for your business and do away with possible threats and dangers through data encryption. A customized app also meets the requirements of various operating systems and APIs.
2. High Scalability
Regular apps deal with a limited amount of resources. It is not bad, but general apps can fail to handle more oversized data loads when the business records growth.
Compared to available apps, it is easy to tackle this problem in custom app development. It is because custom made apps are with these parameters in mind. In other words, they can scale up quickly if such a need arises.
3. Easy to maintain
Using the available app makes you fall dependent on an unknown app development team. If you suspend development, you will remain without continuous development. By building a customized app, you have complete control over the development and maintenance process, not depend on others for anything.
4. Emphasizing the advantage of the competitor
For businesses, especially startups, competitive benefits are of paramount importance. In this case, solutions off the shelf can hardly extend their capabilities to have more functions. Custom applications can help highlight your business’s competitive advantages and segment your product on the market.
Learn how to Build Web Apps with WordPress
Tips to have significant custom mobile app development
Some steps you can follow to get the best from custom mobile app development are as follows:
1. Define the Requirements
Requirements for software development play a crucial role in developing any product, especially when custom application development. To achieve the result you want, you need to specify the requirement to the minutest details. The primary purposes of software development are as follows:
2. Explain the functionality of products.
Collect and organize information that relates to the project. Clarify the requirements of the project and discuss all the questions and challenges that arise between stakeholders and developers.
3. Keep up with trends in tech.
New technologies are not necessarily about 3D illustrations. Instead, they can be effective instruments that can help simplify or automate your workflow. Some technologies we recommend are as follows:
- Cloud-based computing: It is a widely used technology, especially in dealing with software that has broad databases. Cloud environments can assist in coding, design, testing and other aspects of development to build service-based applications.
- Analytics: These forms of technology help applications organize and process personal data inflow through visualizations, predictive capabilities and dashboards.
4. Find a team of professionals.
Last but not least is finding a team of professionals that will be on the same page with you. Here, we are looking at the professionals that will take their time to explore your business going into the matters of your business needs.
Product mindset is said to be one of the fundamental values. It proclaims that everything we do regarding the project you do with the project in mind—no unnecessary technology. Instead, we only implement the features that suit the needs of the business.
How Long Does it Take to build a custom application?
Considering that you will adhere to the best practices and have to work on continuously improving your application, building a custom application never ends. The time it takes to launch the application to when it starts to yield revenue spans from four to nine months, depending on a range of factors.
However, the actual time is solely dependent on the project’s scope. A small application to track time can be concluded in three months, while a rather extensive app for online shopping would require 9 to 12 months for its development.
What makes a successful custom app?
The success of an application comprises three elements: Marketing, user-centricity, and the product itself. Combining all three will result in profitability and optimal performance for the users and the app owners. These three components are further below.
The marketing state aims at targeting the right consumers. For instance, if you are in the market for a luxurious segment of clients, the lack of an iOS-based app will significantly affect the sales revenue.
The user-centricity element aids user retention, making people return to your application to continue using it. We need to consider the app’s overall design, user interface, and user experience UI/UX, among other features. The application needs to follow the natural usage pattern covering users’ main expectations. It should incorporate visible support. For example, a chat so that whoever is lost or needs a specific element of your application could get the required assistance in seconds.
The Process of Custom App Development
Custom app development can take place in many directions because it suits the needs and requirements of the clients. Some companies come for custom app development with a ready-made list showing all the specifics of what they want, while others have a general idea of what they want in the end. However, the process solely depends on the project, the software, the requirements, and the client.
Here is a list of the stages to be followed in custom app development:
Experts come together to share ideas on what the app will look like, its features, the end-users, the user interface, the experience users will have, and the resources that will produce these custom apps. Brainstorming helps to decide what to do at what time in the process of creating the custom app.
2. Identifying the target audience
Once there is a problem, you need to know who is willing and ready to use your solution. You also need to understand the needs of the target audience—their pain points, their goals, and several other questions that bug them.
3. Business strategy
It is where you make plans as to how you will generate revenue through the custom app development. The strategy to be adopted for the project will also impact the customer satisfaction rate and the time it will take to achieve your goal.
4. Specifications and core functionalities
Creating the specifications is essential even if you are not tech-savvy and unfamiliar with IT terms. The overall and overall functional and technical specifications or your expectations for the future software will help websites, and mobile app developers understand your vision and create the exact solution needed.
5. Finding experts to develop an app
It is essential to get the right people to develop the app.
It is the predevelopment stage because before the custom web app can begin, there will be a need to define the details of the project. It can include anything from drafts and ideas regarding the app’s presentation, from pencil and paper looks to the designer’s images and the user’s experience.
With everything in place, the next step is to move on to the development stage. Here, the ideas and resources are to good use. The custom app meets users’ needs and requirements and gives them the best experience.
In conclusion, custom app development helps meet the needs of businesses, boosting their sales and profitability as they are out for this. Also, they aim to give the best experience to their users with a bespoke design and interface.
Building Web Apps with WordPress like an expert
What does it cost to have a custom app?
The cost of custom app development is one of the most decisive factors for companies seeking a lasting solution at the lowest price possible. Clients frequently need a very accurate estimate for the upcoming project and, in most cases, get only a temporary number. Custom app development varies due to the uniqueness of each project.
Here are a few things to consider in the cost of a custom app
- How complex its features are: What may seem natural to an average app user might be extra work for a developer. Push notifications, chat, feedback, integrations, microphone or camera, and several other features not present in an app are additions. If you have more of them, the final cost of your app will be higher.
- Design elaboration: A mock-up with nice colours and a pleasant feel is only part of the designer’s job. User experience is what dazes some experts. If you have an extensive application, then the design of all the features that will fit into one screen wouldn’t clutter it. Therefore, understanding how it functions for users of all age groups and from different countries might be tasking. The app’s structure directly impacts the budget for the design and hence the overall cost of the app.
- Cross-platform app development: Custom mobile application development costs less than cross-platform app development because it uses only one medium, android/iOS phones. The more OS versions, device types, browsers, and combinations added to the list of supported devices, the more development work is required.
- Data usage and storage: Each time an application transfers or makes use of custom developed content (photos seen in messenger or articles on a platform), it requires a place to store them aside from the options of publishing or sharing them. Cloud storage costs any integrations with external sources; access to a user’s device is the feature that requires an extra payment.
- Involvement of human resources: Big apps require big teams, which will cost a considerable amount of money. You can develop smaller applications on a budget. The cost of any custom app directly depends on the team members the project requires and utilizes. In this case, team location, experience and the salary would impact your budget. However, you deter the final budget by the choice you make regarding an outsourcing company.
- Maintenance: Fix upcoming bugs, monitor, and factor cleaning and care into the price estimate. Once an application is released, the expenses aren’t covered fully because every product needs the help of a support agent to collect data and a developer to fix the reported issues. More often than not, there will be a team of tech professionals working on the daily maintenance. So you should either include care in the original budget or make plans for a separate project to keep the newly released application in good shape.
In conclusion, custom apps are set up to suit your business’s needs, helping it realize its set goals and objectives in terms of having a good interface that will bring about a great user experience.
You may also like to read our latest article, Gartner Magic Quadrant Best Data Integration Tools: What You Need to Know.