Most certainly, many will not argue with you when you speak of Jumia as being the Amazon of Africa, and if you want to learn about how to make money online with Jumia, this guide is for you. Also, you might have thought of starting an e-business; read this article to know if this platform is the right place for you.
Besides the fact that there are several eCommerce platforms in the online market, Jumia provides a significant advantage over just about all of them. For one, it owns only about 15% of products seen on its websites, giving opportunities to new sellers willing to enter the booming world of online shopping. This opening has encouraged lots of business owners, brands, and individual sellers to leverage the opportunity offered by the platform.
In this piece, I will share a step-by-step guide for beginners on how to make money online with Jumia. Don’t be alarmed; this piece takes you on a journey from beginner to pro while earning a decent passive income, all from the comfort of your home. Read on!
The Jumia platform needs no introduction as it has become a household name within the African continent. With increasing interest in online shopping, this eCommerce giant has been able to carve out a decent amount of the market to itself.
Jumia made its debut sometime in 2012 and had its initial website as Jumia.com, and its earliest description was “an e-commerce marketplace.” At one point, it was called African Internet Group as well, and soon after its inception, the platform spread across Africa and now has a presence in over 14 countries.
As someone searching for making money online, selling on Jumia is one of the best ways. In a nutshell, it offers vendors of different products the opportunity to advertise, display and sell goods to millions of online users.
In 2013, Jumia won the World Online Retail Award, repeating the feat in 2015 when it reportedly made well over $234 million in revenue. By 2016, the platform had become a significant contributor to the African GDP, and it continues to serve millions of customers across the African continent.
Related article: How to copy and paste on Chromebooks [tutorial videos included]
Getting Started With the Jumia Platform
As earlier stated, a large percentage of the products sold on the Jumia platform are made by third-party sellers. And if you are beginning your journey into the world of e-commerce with Jumia as your preferred platform, this next aspect is for you. I will be teaching on a step-by-step basis how to make money on Jumia.
To start with the trading platform, aspiring sellers have to go through three stages before selling products. The first step is to begin and complete registration, undergo vendor training, and eventually list their products in readiness for sales. your first stop on the journey to learn how to make money online with Jumia is to understand each step.
Let’s take each step one by one:
Starting on any platform, a newbie seller must register. Thankfully, Jumia registration process is simple, easy, and can be completed in no time. To get started, follow the instructions below:
- Visit the Jumia website and navigate to the page’s footer at the bottom and click on the “Sell on Jumia” button.
- This should redirect you to a page with a button that says “Start selling Now.” On this page, a prompt is displayed asking you to register.
- Next up is a seller center page that will require new sellers to fill in seller account information about you. Details to be entered include:
– Shop name
– Signify if you are an individual or a business entity or company. Take care to select the right title that describes you, as this will determine a lot about your journey on the platform.
– Account manager: first and last name.
– Mobile phone number
– Email address
– Postal code
- The next step is to add business information. These include:
– Email of referrer
– Indicate whether or not you have existing shop/shops on Jumia
– If yes, indicate the name of the shops or otherwise, leave blank.
– Indicate country
– State city/town name
– Enter address
– State relevant Identification documents and upload
– Identify where you will be shipping from
– Add bank account information.
– Check the box beside the terms and conditions to signify your agreement to the eCommerce giant terms and conditions.
– Go through the information summary page and verify that all details are correct.
– Next up is to select “start selling.”
After this, you will receive a verification mail in the email address you provided. Additionally, a small task will be assigned to you to verify of your account.
Embark on Training
Once you complete the registration process, the next step is to understand the Jumia seller center page. The email sent you received will have another link that redirects newbies to the Vendor Hub page. Click on this link to begin the training session and if you really desire to make money online with Jumia, then you should consider taking the coaching serious.
For ease of study and time management, the platform presents its vendor training program online or offline. There is a link to a YouTube video for sellers that wish to conduct their training online. However, as a new seller, if you opt for an offline training mode, you must book for the training, which takes place every weekday.
Here are some significant metrics to understand on the seller center page:
1. Total Pending Orders
This metric indicates the number of orders you are yet to fulfill as a seller and you can further narrow down this metric to display older or newer orders. Please, keep in mind that Jumia currently has a daily order limit of 10,000.
2. Seller Rating
This metric indicates how efficiently the seller provides services and goods. Think of this as your scorecard, as it will most often determine if potential customers will be willing to do business with you. As a new seller, ensure to keep an eye on your ratings and prevent it from dropping. The seller rating combines cancelation rate, quality return rate, and average customer rating.
3. Bestselling product
This is another metric that you, as a new seller on Jumia, have to keep a close eye on. It tells you which of your items are selling handsomely and gives you an idea of products in high demand and those that are not.
Once you understand the various functions of the seller center, the next step is to add products you wish to sell. While still on the Seller Centre section, you can list various products depending on whether such a product already exists or not on the platform. Let’s examine how the listing is done for each scenario:
1. Listing an Existing Product
As a new seller, chances are you might be interested in selling a product that is already being sold on the Jumia platform. Not to worry because even if this is the case, you are in luck as listing this category of product is even simpler. All you have to do is use the “Sell Yours” feature.
Here is how you do it:
- Input the exact name of the product you wish to sell into the search bar and click on the “Sell Yours” button at the top right corner after the product name.
- Then, select the “More Product Details” tab and change the product line to your store’s name.
- Next, click on the “Product Pricing” tab to enter the seller’s SKU, quantity, and price per item.
- There is no need to upload images since the product already exists on the platform. Click the “Submit and Finish” button and you are done.
2. Listing a New Product
On the other hand, if you want to sell products or services currently not being sold on the platform, you will need to provide specific details about the product. Here is how to add a new product on Jumia, follow the steps below:
- Click on the “create a new product” button below the search bar.
- Select the category as well as a sub-category to which the product belongs
- The next step is to add product information such as Product name, make and model of the product, and primary color.
- Next up is adding product details like product line, venture type, a detailed description, and product specification.
- Add any relevant and additional information relating to the product. This can include warranty services, product country, etc.
- Next up includes product variation details, the number of available stock, and price per item.
- After this, upload high-quality images of the product. Ensure to keep images within the specifications of the platform.
- Select the “submit and finish” button, after which a prompt should be displayed stating that your product has been successfully uploaded. Please note that it takes nearly 48 hours for Jumia to verify your product.
There you have it, guys, a step-by-step guide on how to start and populate your store with products you wish to sell. The next step in this article is to show you exactly how to get items for a fraction of their cost. This ensures that you can turn in a tidy profit margin at the end of the day without doing much of the heavy lifting involved.
Jumia Seller Fees
You might just be wondering, how then does Jumia make so much profit if they hardly sell products? The answer to this is in the platform’s Seller Fees! While it won’t charge you to set up a store and add products, the platform takes a cut from the sales of products made via its website. This is done via the Revenue Share Agreement, enabling the platform to earn each sale.
Note: keep in mind that the turnover share is not the same for all products. It varies and is dependent primarily on the category of the product.
Making Money from Your Online Jumia Store
While the first step to making money on Jumia requires potential sellers to first get on the platform, this has been extensively discussed in the upper section of this article. Let’s move on to the money-making aspect itself.
1. Product Sourcing
In this next part, I will be showing you some ways to get products (for sellers selling already existing products) cheaply.
One central platform where sellers can get goods at a favorable price is AliExpress. This platform is a hotspot for vendors of various products. New sellers can leverage it to increase their profit margin. Follow the steps below to get goods at cheap rates:
- Navigate to AliExpress and search the products you have listed on Jumia to find the best prices available.
- One hack to use is to check the free shipping box. By checking this box, you ensure that you don’t pay shipping fees which can reasonably drive up costs of getting your goods.
Another platform sellers can use to source products is DHgate, which is like Aliexpress. Product manufacturers, and sellers can easily buy and sell in bulk and at discounted prices on the platform.
2. Selling Your Products on Jumia
Regardless of the category your product belongs to; the Jumia platform allows sellers to attach price tags to their products and control them via the Seller Centre. the platform also advices sellers to regularly update Product information via the same avenue. Constant updates ensure potential customers are served up-to-date information whenever they wish to buy from you.
Generally, when an order is placed in a store, the platform will verify its availability from the seller. If the product is available, it sends a notification to you, prompting you to drop the product at the closest Jumia drop-off station. After which, the platform ships it off to the buyer.
You also have the option of signing up for the Jumia Express Service. This particular service allows sellers to store products in the Jumia warehouse pending shipping to buyers. This essentially removes the burden of dropping off products at the drop-off station every time a customer makes an order. The platform also handles customer care services by attending to your’ customers on your behalf.
3. Promote Your Store As Well As Product
As with every business, there is the need for promotion (marketing) to make profits. While Jumia promises to help get your products to as many potential customers as possible, focusing on promotion is essential. The beauty of advertising is that it increases visibility, impacting sales and profits.
The Jumia platform itself has avenues for you to promote your products. One of such is its ‘Sponsored products’ package. As a new seller, I strongly recommend you use this to boost your visibility. To leverage this, follow the steps below:
- From your seller center account, click on promotions and select sponsored promotions
- Click “boost your visibility.”
- Next up, click on the link provided. This gives you access to the sponsored products portal
- Select a plan
- Next, manage the products you wish to sponsor
After following the above steps, a seller should monitor his progress from the dashboard. The price for using the sponsored promotion feature ranges. Each seller can select one suitable to their needs and budget.
Another form of promotion that I like to use is the word-of-mouth marketing approach. This entails sellers creating confidence in customers to refer them to others. You can start this off with your friends and family and work up the ladder from there.
At this point, I am sure you’ve learned the ropes on how to make money online with Jumia. Thankfully, the platform allows you to sell a wide range of products on it. As a potential seller, your major focus should be on conducting research into what sells. After this, a seller should source the product and watch how the platform does all the heavy lifting for you.
Do you think there is an aspect I didn’t cover, or do you have questions that need answers? Feel free to hop in on the comment section and let me know. I’ll be waiting to answer them all and shed more light! also, check here for other means of making money online!