There is always that one app you want to get rid of now and then or uninstall on your Mac. This guide has been put together to help uninstall and get rid of specific applications on your Macbook. This article is a step-by-step guide on how to uninstall, delete, and get rid of hidden Apps.
How to uninstall Apps on Macbook Pro and Macbook Air
Both the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air are products belonging to Apple, and they both share similar ways of uninstalling an unwanted App. You can use Launchpad or Finder to uninstall app on your Macbook.
Launchpad helps you open, find and organize your app. Launchpad has a convenient way to delete apps downloaded from the App store.
- To access Launchpad, open it from the Dock or open it from your Application folder. You can also pinch close with your thumb and three fingers on your trackpad.
- If you have trouble finding the app you want to uninstall in your Launchpad, type its name in the search field at the top of the screen, or swipe right or left with two fingers on your trackpad to show the next or previous page.
- Tap and hold the Option key, or tap and hold any app until the apps jiggle.
- Tap the Delete button next to the app you want to delete, then tap Delete to confirm. The app is deleted immediately. Apps that don’t show “X” mean either the app didn’t come from the App Store or are required by your Mac. To delete an app that didn’t come from the App Store, use the Finder app instead.
Note: Deleting an app doesn’t cancel any subscription you purchased with that app. It is advisable to opt out and cancel a subscription before deleting an app.
Using the Finder to Delete an App
The Finder is always at the top of the screen. It uses windows and icons to show you the contents of your Mac, iCloud Drive, and other storage devices. It’s called the Finder because it helps you find and organize your files. Follow these steps to use Finder to delete an app.
- Locate the app in the Finder. Most apps are in your Application folder; you can open them by clicking Applications in the sidebar of any Finder window.
- Apart from Finder, you can also use Spotlight to find the app, then press and hold the command key while double-clicking the app in spotlight.
- Drag the app to the Trash or choose the app and tap on File > Move to Trash.
- If you’re asked for a username and password, enter the name and password of an administrator account on your Mac. This is probably the name and password you use to log into your Mac.
- To delete the app, choose Finder > Empty Trash.
How to delete an app from my Mac that won’t Delete from Launchpad
While we have taken you through the process of uninstalling an app from your Mac, there are cases where some apps won’t delete from your Mac; below are some reasons why an app from your Mac won’t delete.
- The App is Running: One of the common reasons you are cannot delete an app on Mac would be that the app was launched and you forgot to exit it before deleting it. It could be running in the background and thereby preventing its deletion. So you need to ensure the app is closed before attempting to remove it from your Mac.
- It is a System App: A system app are apps that came preloaded with your Mac, Apple believes you should not be removing the apps, and so it does not allow you to do that.
However, you can force uninstall a program on Mac by doing the following;
- Press the Command option plus Esc keys on your keyboard. You can be anywhere to use this key combination on your Mac.
- You will see a box for Force Quit Applications. In this box, select the app that you have an issue deleting and then click the force quit button.
- Once the app is closed, open the Launchpad, hold down the option key and click the ‘X’ icon to delete your stubborn app. Then you can delete the App on Mac that won’t delete from Launchpad.
- Make sure to empty the Trash so that your app is gone forever.
Another way you can permanently delete Apps is by using a third-party app called MacClean. MacClean can be used for uninstalling sticky apps on your Mac. Apart from helping to remove apps and getting rid of associated files on your Mac, it also cleans up various types of junk files from Mac.
Here is how to successfully uninstall applications on Mac using MacClean
- After downloading and launching MacClean on your Mac, click Cleanup Tools on the left, and select App Uninstaller on the right.
- Choose the app you would like to get rid of from the list.
- Tick all boxes on the right and click clean in the bottom-right corner.
- Your selected app should be deleted entirely from your Mac.
MacClean helps to uninstall applications on Mac as well as attached files completely.
How to uninstall hidden apps on Mac
To uncover hidden apps on Mac, it is best to check in your Application folder. Here is a quick guide;
- Go to Applications in Finder and control-click the app you want to uninstall.
- Move to the Trash. Send the app you want to uninstall to the Trash, then open Bin and empty it.
- Search for app leftovers. In Finder select, Go= Go to Folder from the menu bar, and type /Library/and hit click Go
- Remove app leftovers.
You may also like to read, How to block, report spam text and email on Android and iPhones.